South Park's "Elementary School Musical" Episode, or: why the show is still extremely funny

Sondheim himself said South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut was the best original musical he had seen in years. So if you have yet to give South Park a chance, shame on you.

In case you missed last night's episode of South Park (still one of the funniest shows on television), South Park Studios is streaming the full episode for viewing pleasure online here.

And musical theater aficionados will want to take a glance at the new episode entitled "Elementary School Musical." Matt Stone and Trey Parker are still able to milk laughs out of an already tired (and over-parodied) High School Musical satire.

Not funny:



Funny:



And pay close attention to the song and how it actually improves upon the original. And Cartman's closing line is genius: “Well, I’m out guys. If this is what’s cool now I think I’m done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I’m gonna go home and kill myself.”

And what makes it even funnier is the fact that he tried to actually follow through and only failed due to technical problems (Billy Elliot and 9 to 5 take note).

Kyle: What happened? I thought you were gonna kill yourself.
Cartman: I tried. Went to sleep in my mom’s car in the garage with the engine turned on.
Stan: But you didn’t die?
Cartman: Freaking hybrids man. They just don’t do the trick anymore.

For all of its faults (the way I feel about HSM is the same way Sparky from Bring It On feels about cheerleaders: "...dancers who have gone retarded."), High School Musical, as we all know, is entirely commercially successful. And even though it is musical theater gone retarded, at least it exposes something to little kids of the wonderful art of the American musical.

Perfect material for parody. And South Park has hit all the right notes in its most recent episode.

And has also provided my favorite new character in Mr. Queermo, the dad of a young student who longs to be a part of the basketball team and step out of the spotlight of the theater. Despite all the gay stereotypes and cliches with the character, Mr. Queermo and his slap-happy hands had me rolling.



Take note of the Phantom of the Opera poster, the Mamma Mia! poster, and if you watch the clip below, you'll catch the poster to A Chorus Line and the ode to Bye Bye Birdie at right about 39 seconds. The dude is hilarious.



"Go right back to your room and sing a ballad!" I think I just peed a little.

Watch the next 2 clips and enjoy the wonderful comic timing and tight direction of the creators. The editing towards the end of the second clip is spot on.





Remember, South Park is supposed to be offensive - so if you are gonna watch this and then leave negative comments at my admiration for the show and its (non-existant) 'anti-gay' slant, don't say I didn't warn you.

You should just know better. Fight the H8!

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2009 I Can't, I Have Rehearsal Designed by csstemplatesmarket

Converted to Blogger by BloggerThemes.Net