Gypsy to Close March 1st, or: "Say goodbye to blueberry pie."

Variety reports that the astonishing revival of Jule Styne's Gypsy, starring the incomparable Patti LuPone and directed by original librettist Arthur Laurents, will take its final curtain call March 1, 2009.

This really comes as no surprise as Ms. LuPone's contract ends on the same night. But it is good to see the show will not shutter earlier than expected due to economic hard times. The show so far has grossed $26 million and producers hope that the revival will recoup its investment of $9 million by the end of the nearly year-long run.

In a statement lead producer Roger Berlind said, "I know I speak on behalf of my partners when I say that this production has been one of the most gratifying endeavors of our professional careers. Legendary director Arthur Laurents assembled a superb company lead by the incomparable Patti LuPone. And, while we wish Gypsy could entertain us all much longer, it has become clear to us that there is no way to replace the irreplaceable."

No lie. As you can attest from my 4-star review, Gypsy still remains one of the best productions I have ever seen in my life. The cast was definitive, the staging was brilliant, and the timing (no matter how close it was to that other revival) was perfect.

Gypsy will have played 27 previews and a total of 388 performances since beginning shows March 3, 2008 with an official opening of March 27, 2008.

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2009 I Can't, I Have Rehearsal Designed by csstemplatesmarket

Converted to Blogger by BloggerThemes.Net