Godspell Postponed. Amen.


I guess it's official now. After many speculations in the past few days, it looks as if though we're gonna have to wait around a bit longer for the revival of Godspell.

Apparently the shitty economy is at it again and has forced a huge backer to drop out. The production, which was to star Gavin Creel and "American Idol" finalist and Hairspray alum Diana Degarmo, was set to begin previews September 29 at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre with an official opening date of October 23.

In addition to Creel and DeGarmo, the announced cast included Joshua Henry as Judas with Uzo Aduba, Andrew Arrington, Sara Chase, Celisse Henderson, Morgan James, David Josefsberg, Telly Leung, Kyle Post, Dana Steingold, Maria Thayer and Daniel Torres.

Daniel Goldstein was scheduled to direct the production with choreography by Christopher Gattelli (Altar Boyz).

Composer Stephen Schwartz says, "I take comfort in my belief that productions happen when they are supposed to. The cast and creative team was poised to create a terrific production and I have no doubt it will be just that when its time comes."

While I'm not a huge fan of the show, I was looking forward to seeing a first rate professional production of the tuner. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

All I know is that if the Arthur Laurents directed revival of West Side Story falls victim, I'm gonna wanna shoot a president. Doesn't everybody have the right to be happy? Ok I'm done with the Sondheim puns.

R.I.P.
Godspell
Brigadoon

Nice Work If You Can Get It
for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf

2 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

Godspell was the first musical I did in college. I love it, but I couldn't imagine seeing it on Broadway, honestly. I'm relieved it's postponed.

Joseph Gomez said...

I've always felt GODSPELL was better suited to community and school theatre productions. I'm not wasting tears over this postponement either.

 

Copyright © 2009 I Can't, I Have Rehearsal Designed by csstemplatesmarket

Converted to Blogger by BloggerThemes.Net