The ever-increasing senility of Frank Scheck and Clive Barnes never ceases to amaze me.

The fundamental respect shown for all the characters is refreshing: The show doesn't mock their religious fervor even when it's misguided or hypocritical. That quality may help secure a life for "Saved" -- even in its present, imperfect form -- as a viable property for school and youth-theater productions. But further development is needed for the fledgling show to find salvation in the commercial arena.


What a great closing sentence written by David Rooney for Variety in his review of Saved, the new Off Broadway musical that officially opened last night. If only I was as clever and witty...

So I heart the movie, but according to reviews, Saved seems to have lost its satirical edge (along with the exclamation point appended to the title). And that's a bummer. I really like Celia Keenan-Bolger and Julia Murney; but according to reports, the show is still in need of some adjustments in the book and especially the score. The title of my post refers to my growing disagreements with the two critics of the New York Post - Frank Scheck gave an amiably favorable review to the new work. Granted, I haven't seen the damn show, but I'm pretty sure I'd disagree with Frank anyway.

Playwrights Horizons are the ones responsible for Sunday in the Park with George and more recently Grey Gardens. Saved does not seem destined to achieve the same fate as those heavenly shows.

*awkward silence*

In case you couldn't tell, that was my lame ass attempt to one-up Rooney. (Didn't quite work.)

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2009 I Can't, I Have Rehearsal Designed by csstemplatesmarket

Converted to Blogger by BloggerThemes.Net